Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cloud 9

The past few days I've been on cloud 9 with all the progress Melanie has been making.  today we had a home visit. I was informed that Melanie is having behavioral issues again. She's having a hard to sharing and is throwing temper tantrums again. She's having a difficulty time doing what she has to do "first" and getting what she wants "then." This is concerning because she has a hard time transitioning. Melanie also loves to be a leader and not a follower. She likes to tell the kids what to do. She can be a little bossy. Mrs Liz is concerned that the public schools will not have the resources to help Melanie. We plan to mainstream her but in the regular class there might be up to 20 children. The teacher might not be able to give Melanie the attention she needs. I'm worried that Melanie might hit a kid when she doesn't get her way. Some schools are starting to have a policy that if the child hits, the child will get suspended. I'm not sure if she will be protected by her IEP. The other option would be for her to go to special Ed and academically that would not benefit Melanie. I know I shouldn't stress about this because we still have a few months before public school starts but I can't help it. The plan from now until school starts is to work on a behavioral plan. I hope we figure one out for Melanie soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment